Though there is no cultural center of music video exhibition anymore (MTV’s venerable Total Request Live closed up shop this year), the music video as a form is alive and well. You just have to seek them out on YouTube. The following are my favorites from the last year:
10) Justice, “Stress”: It’s a manic song from French dance genius Justice, and it’s a suitably manic video.
9) Radiohead, “House of Cards”: This video was made not with lights, but lasers!
8) Britney Spears, “Circus”: After a string of misfire videos, Brit Brit returns to form with this stylistically cohesive, energetic video.
7) Bjork, “Wanderlust”: Bjork is crazy. Nothing new there. But this Where the Wild Things Are-esque video is her strangest video yet.
6) Vampire Weekend, “Oxford Comma”: It’s a total Wes Anderson knockoff, but I’m okay with that!
5) M83, “Kim and Jessie”: Not to be confused with that abysmal sitcom “Kath and Kim”…
4) Weezer, “Pork and Beans”: A fitting homage to the short history of viral video sensations.
3) Kanye West, “Heartless”: Kanye sure does love his Pop Art!
2) Beyonce, “Single Ladies”: This is how dance videos should look. And that metallic hand!
1) Sam Amidon, “Saro”: Repurposed archival and vintage American footage creates the perfect visual landscape to this deeply evocative song.