Thanks to YouTube (and no thanks to MTV), the music video has made a comeback in recent years. To celebrate this very fine form of sonic-visual fusion, here’s my list of the best music videos of 2007:
10) Rihanna (feat. Jay Z), “Umbrella”: Yes the song is a bit ridiculous, but it’s so catchy! And this video is definitely one of the more visually interesting TRL hits in recent years.
9) Battles, “Atlas”: A little bit stuck-in-the-box for indie rock’s most experimental new band, but cool nonetheless!
8) Peter, Bjorn, and John: “Objects of My Affection”: This dizzying (literally) video is equal parts retro whimsy and spacey futuristic atmospherics.
7) Kanye West, “Stronger”: The robo-tech Japanese chic vibe of this video is as hot as the song. Thoroughly modern and yet a little bit 80s. Love Kanye’s sunglasses too!
6) Mute Math, “Typical”: Not the first to shoot a video backwards (remember Coldplay’s “The Scientist”?), but this one is just so much fun to watch. And the song’s pretty good too.
5) The White Stripes, “Icky Thump”: The Stripes continue their streak of awesome videos with this, the title track from their latest album. Features Spanish subtitles and Meg White with a creepy white contact over one eye!
4) Justice, “D.A.N.C.E.”: The French techno band Justice complement a great song with this visually-stunning experiment in digital graphic design. Feels like a font-driven comment on statement t-shirts or globalization or something. Or just a cool-looking video.
3) Feist, “1,2,3,4”: A joyful warehouse dance video that could be subtitled “Polyphonic Spree goes line dancing.” Really, a lovely video for one of the happiest songs of the year.
2) St. Vincent, “Jesus Saves, I Spend”: St. Vincent (aka Annie Clark) plays the world’s coolest den mother in this wonderfully kooky video. Features a singing caterpillar, a swamp monster and “sleeping bag escape” merit badges!
1) Chromeo, “Bonafide Lovin”: Chromeo work their 80s dance magic amid a Sims-esque virtual reality world. Watch out for the shockingly pink shoes and the cool digitization effects in the end. It’s like a Second Life disco!
Honorable Mention: Interpol, “The Heinrich Maneuver”: for the most enjoyable twist ending of a video all year!